For years people have been told that eating too much salt can be bad for their health. Rightly so, for too much salt can cause high blood pressure, which leads to a host of other health problems as we all know. However, there is a difference in the type of salt we use because regular-old table salt does make a person sick, whereas sea salt can make you healthy.
The problem with table salt is that it is highly refined. Many of the important minerals such as magnesium and iodine are removed or destroyed in this processing. Iodine is put back in, but in the form of potassium iodide, which is not as useful to the body as natural iodine from the sea. Also, aluminum compounds are added to keep the salt dry so that “when it rains, it the salt still pours” as the old TV commercial used to say. Aluminum is a heavy metal that is toxic to the body. But most importantly, table salt is a high concentration of sodium. The high sodium content is what causes a mineral imbalance in the body, causing you to retain water, which leads to the high blood pressure.
Sea salt is very different. It is not refined or processed but is naturally created from drying seawater in the sun, retaining its entire natural mineral content. It also retains microscopic forms of sea life, making it a good source of natural iodine. And the health benefits of sea salt are enormous as in the following examples:
- Can actually lower your blood pressure by maintaining proper sodium balance. It also helps to regulate the heartbeat and lower high cholesterol when mixed in water. By this token, it helps you to avoid water retention.
- Helps to keep your body alkaline which wards off serious and life threatening diseases.
- Assists in building a strong immune system that helps to prevent colds, flu, and autoimmune diseases as well as keep allergies at bay.
- Oddly enough, sea salt can help with weight loss – not only by keeping you from retaining water, but also by aiding in your digestion. It helps the body to create digestive juices, which then help you digest your food faster. This helps to prevent build-up in the digestive tract causing constipation and weight gain.
- Includes all the essential minerals that maintains proper electrolyte balance in the body, which aids in proper nerve system and cellular functions.
- If you have a drink of warm water with sea salt before bed, it will give you a deeper and longer sleep. It also helps clear up sinus and bronchial congestion. Half a teaspoon in a glass of water is a good ratio.
- If you are diabetic or prone to diabetes, sea salt can lower your need for insulin by helping to maintain proper blood sugar levels.
- Has also has shown to be effective in treating various types of depression. The salt helps to preserve two essential hormones in the body that help you to deal with stress. These hormones are serotonin and melatonin, which help you to feel good, and relax and sleep better at night.
Life on this planet evolved from the oceans. Animals enabled themselves to live on land by their ability to maintain the ocean environment inside the body. Using sea salt in your diet rather than table salt helps your body to accomplish this and stay healthy.